Fundamentally Settled

 This is copied from the bulletin of Calvary Baptist Church on 472 Ocean Rd in Portsmouth NH 03801. (603) 436-7736. The bulletin is dated 09/01/2024.


Fundamentally Settled

        In the days like these, when chaos appears to be king, and civilization itself sometimes seems verging on collapse, it is something mightily to be desired to have an anchor for the soul - something permanent, abiding, sure and steadfast, to be tied to. 

        A man with such an anchor, a U.S. Navy officer, wrote a letter to his pastor: "For almost thirteen years I have been a member, sometimes in better standing than at others. Many times my attendance has not bee as faithful as it might have been, but over those years, despite the fluctuating fervor which I applied to it. I can see that the church has been a real rock, a real reference point for me.
        "It's just as in navigation - at the beginning of every voyage, you establish your bearing and distance from some fixed mark, and that is your point of departure. We have something in our faith that can fundamentally settle a man, that beneath his surface tides runs like a deep, strong current, never varying in its direction, always surging ahead."

        The young lieutenant is absolutely right of course. There is nothing in all the world, save the eternal Gospel of Christ, that can "Fundamentally settle a man." Christ is that anchor for the soul.
        The Lord Is My Rock, And My Fortress, And My Deliverer: My God, My Strength, In Whom I Will Trust ... "



2024 / 09 / 02











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lord, Teach Me And Help Me:

Part Two of My Trip to the Museum of the Bible in Washington DC

The Lord's Pressence