Some Day The Silver Cord Will Break - Great Hymns Of The Faith

 This is copied from the bulletin of Calvary Baptist Church on 472 Ocean Rd in Portsmouth NH 03801 (603) 436-7736. The bulletin is dated 10/13/2024.


Great Hymns Of The Faith

"Some Day The Silver Cord Will Break"

("Save By Grace")
Fanny Crosby, 1820-1915

"I cannot see the sunset, but some day I shall see my Saviour face to face," exclaimed Fanny Crosby. This was her reply to Dr. L. W. Munhall's glowing description of the sunset, after a service of the Poughkeepsie camp meeting. Dr. Munhall, the great Methodist layman evangelist, was my traveling companion motoring from Ocean Grove, NJ, camp meeting when he told me the experience which gave birth to this hymn.

Seated on the hotel porch, he painted with colorful adjectives and skillful touch to the blind Fanny Crosby, the deepening glory of the changing sunset. He depicted the roseate hues and shafting lights with accurate phrase, hoping to have her see it, even as he saw it: but she was seeing beyond the brilliance of the sunset and gave the world this lovely message in song. Hers was not more sight but finer seeing - spiritual insight. 

        "Some day, when fades the golden sun
        Beneath the rosy - tinted west,
        My blessed Lord shall say, "Well done!"
        And I  shall see Him face to face,
        To tell the story saved by Grace."

Fanny Crosby wrote nearly 9,000 Gospel poems, and her hymns will continue to be used as long as the Gospel is sung.

        The musical setting by George C. Stebbins enhances the beauty of the poem. It is another of this melodic gems which have endeared him to the hymn loving public.

        "One thing I know, that whereas I was blind, now I see"

The chorus:
"And I shall see Him face to face, And tell the story Saved by grace;
And I shall see Him face to face, And tell the story Saved by Grace."



2024 / 10 / 14







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lord, Teach Me And Help Me:

Part Two of My Trip to the Museum of the Bible in Washington DC

The Lord's Pressence