The World Wants Compromising Preachers

 This is copied from the bulletin of Calvary Baptist Church in Portsmouth NH. The bulletin is dated 04/21/2024.


The World Wants Compromising Preachers

        If there's anything the world wants, it's a liberal preacher. What are these liberal fellows? One that reads the Ten Commandments like this:
            "Thou shalt not steal if there's any likelihood of being caught."    
            "Thou shalt not covet, but get all you can and keep all you get."
            "Thou shalt not commit adultery but have more than one wife if it suits your convenience."
        Oh, I know what the world cries for - compromise. They want a liberal fellow who give the devil free run in the church and turns the world over to the devil.
        I will tell you that the hope of this country at last is in the people who stick and stand and will abide by the principle of right declared in God Almighty's Word. I am for the right and if I can't get the whole loaf, I will not take any. I would rather be starved to death on principle than live a lean, cadaverous life on a compromise. 
        I say the hope of the world is that unflinching, uncompromising spirit which will go to the block or not to death in the dungeon or die in a minute rather than hesitate in doing that which is right, or rather than compromise with what is wrong.



One Who Preaches God's Warning Is Your Friend

        I would rather believe and preach a truth, no matter how unpleasant it is, than to believe and preach a pleasant lie. I believe there is a hell. If I didn't, I wouldn't have the audacity to preach to you. If there ever comes a time when I don't believe in hell, I will leave the platform before I will ever preach a sermon with that unbelief in my heart.  I would rather believe and preach a truth, no matter how unpleasant, than believe and preach a lie simply for the friendship and favor of some people.
        
                                            Billy Sunday


Measures Of A Man

        I want to believe that as a Christian, I am spiritual enough to honestly admit my shortcomings, big enough to accept flattery without it making me arrogant, tall enough to tower above deceit, strong enough to treasure love, brave enough to welcome criticism, compassionate enough to understand human frailties', human enough to be thoughtful of my neighbor and righteous enough to be devoted to the laws of God.


        D. L. Moody said, "What was God's call to Abraham? "Get thee out.""
        "What was His Word by Isaiah? "Go yet out ... touch no unclean thing." ."
        "And for us, the command is: "Come out ... be separate." "
        "Dwelling among enemies of God was the cause of Lot's troubles. Be separate! Choose carefully your companions and do not, like the Israelites of old, settle down wit the enemies of God."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Two of My Trip to the Museum of the Bible in Washington DC

Part Four of my Trip to the Museum of the Bible in Washington DC

Lord, Teach Me And Help Me: